How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29934
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter filed her taxes as exempt, she is 17 and didn't

Customer Question

my daughter filed her taxes as exempt, she is 17 and didn't understand. Now they are saying I can't claim her.. How do I fix this
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: she worked for the summer and did her small return in Jan. she didn't mark the box that says someone else is claiming her. Now I am filing and they say I can't claim her because of this on her return. It will make a huge difference on my return.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I think that is it thanks
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.

You probably still may qualify your daughter as a dependent,

but because of that mistake - you would need to amend your daughter 's tax return

She will need to use form 1040X

it might take up to 4 weeks for her amended tax return to be processed.

After that you will file your own tax return and will claim her as a dependent.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the quick response.
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We are currently trying to fill out the form. I am unable to find the area where we explain she is still my dependent. Confused as where to go from here
Expert:  Lev replied 6 months ago.

She will need to use form 1040X

on line 4

there will be $4050 -- ($4050) -- zero

on line 24

1 -- (1) -- zero

Prepare other lines as needed.