How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29798
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My parents had a house fire and lived with me until the

Customer Question

My parents had a house fire and lived with me until the rebuild. Their insurance company paid a monthly amount to offset my costs. They sent me a 1099-misc and put the total amount paid to me in box 6 (medical and health care payments) not sure how to file out schedule c
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: nothing else.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 months ago.

I assume these payments should be reported as rental expenses - based on your information...

And a such - you would report that amount on schedule E - not schedule C.

Expert:  Lev replied 5 months ago.

You might want to contact the insurance company and ask for correction.

But regardless how payments are reported - the IRS still expect to see that amount on your tax return.

Another issue what deductions you may claim to offset that income.

I suggest to verify in IRS publication 527 for explanations and examples