Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

In 2010, I had a failed adoption and so lost the entire

Customer Question
Hi there, JA: Hello. How can...
Hi there,
JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: In 2010, I had a failed adoption and so lost the entire amount of the adoption cost. Would I have been able to claim that as a bad debt loss? I recently read something that suggested that I might have been able to still file for the adoption tax credit based on those payments. And the final question, is it too late to do anything about that?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No. Thank you.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
4/17/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 7 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi My name's Lane.

...

I'm so sorry, but the statute of limitations on fling for a refund is three years. The statutory clock starts running at the due date for the return in question.

...

This means that for a 2010 return due April 15 2011, the amended return would have to be done by April 15 of 2014.

...

BUT, for future reference, if you had a domestic adoption that did not finalize you can claim expenses but only the year after you spent them. And again, so sorry, can only file for an amended return FOR that year if you are not past the statute of limitations for filing for refund purposes.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content.

Otherwise I’ll receive no compensation for the work here at all, from JustAnswer.

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents since 1986.

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS