Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

If I didn't get a 1099 and I put in the $1600 under general

Customer Question

If I didn't get a 1099 and I put in the $1600 under general income, will the IRS come back asking questions about that and penalize the employer?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: The employer did send me an email asking for info so he could send the 1099, but I never saw the email. He did not mention the payment in his taxes. This is from veterinary relief work.
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 2 months ago.

AS long as the IRS would NOT have any reporting on your tax account (which is identified by your SSN) -

I do not think that they would ever ask any questions.

Generally when reporting on the tax return and reporting the IRS received do not match - the IRS sending notices.

Questions?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
they don't care where the $1600 came from? They would just be happy that I paid taxes on it?
Expert:  Lev replied 2 months ago.

That is correct - UNLESS you claimed any additional tax benefits based on that amount.

But so far - I do not see that claiming that additional income will provide you any benefits - so I woudl not expect any questions.
If however - your employer indeed reported that income as non-employment compensation using form 1099misc - the IRS would expect to see that amount as your self-employment income - and if not - you may expect a notice.

If if nothing reported besides your income - it would be very unlikely to have that reporting questioned.