Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I had significant medical expenses in 2016 that were paid…

Customer Question
I had significant medical...

I had significant medical expenses in 2016 that were paid out of our joint checking account. hey were not in excess of 10% of our combined taxable income. However, they are in excess of 10% of my individual income.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I had significant medical expenses in 2016 that were paid out of our joint checking account. They were not in excess of 10% of our combined taxable income, but they exceeded of 10% of my individual income. If we, file "Married filing separately" could I deducted all of my medical expenses or must all medical expense be divided evenly on our individual returns.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/15/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If you choose to file separate tax return - medical expenses must be apportioned.

You will be able to deduct your medical expenses and your spouse correspondingly will deduct medical expenses related to your spouse.

If you have any dependent - dependent's medical expenses will go to the tax return who claims that dependent.

There might be not equal apportioning.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.