Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am not filing schedule A for itemized deductions, but

Customer Question
I am not filing...

I am not filing schedule A for itemized deductions, but would like to include sales tax in 1040 Form. Where do I put it?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have $818 to include in my Form 1040 tax return but I am not filing Schedule A for itemized deductions. Can I still use the tax on Line 62?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I am 91 yrs old. Have about total $5500 in itemized deductions. So I am using the standard deduction for old people and not schedule A. Can I still include this sales tax on my return?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Tax
4/15/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 10 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

No, sales tax is listed on the Schedule A or no where. If you do not itemize you cannot claim an itemized deduction.

Do not list the sales tax on the 1040 form

Please let me know by posting below if you need clarification and so I know you could view the answer. If you do not require more information, a positive 5 star rating is appreciated.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4