Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I received a 1099-C (Cancellation of Debt) for a decedent…

Customer Question
I received a 1099-C...

I received a 1099-C (Cancellation of Debt) for a decedent with the decedents SSN. Would I (should I) report this on the 1041 estate return?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Mother-in-law passed 2/05/2015. estate created 5/6/2015. received 1099-C in 2016 for the amount of $8000

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

1099-C issued against decedent's SSN which is different from estate EIN. The estate appears to only have interest income of about $900.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Tax
4/8/2017
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 10 months ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
I'mCustomer I'll assist.
Since the discharge was in 2016, report it on 1041. Let me check something, and I'll be right back.
COD income created after the date of decedent's death may not be taxable to the estate. Unless the estate succeeded to the debt relief, you may not have to pay tax on this at all.Circumstances will dictate.Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer
What do you mean by "Unless the estate succeeded to the debt relief..."?
If it was a debt of the estate that did not have to be paid, it's income to the estate.
I guess I am getting hung up on the what is considered debt to the estate. This was my mother-in-law's debt which existed prior to the creation of the estate. Would that then be considered cancelled "debt of the estate"?
Then it is not taxable. I would argue it would be taxable to her if she was alive, but not the estate.1099c are issued in error a lot. Since this was issued a year late, and issued to her ssn, do nothing.
Customer
Thanks.
You're welcome. Please take one more moment for positive feedback. Experts are only paid after feedback completes your request.
PDtax
PDtax