Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

When using form 1040, how and where does one report income…

When using form 1040...

When using form 1040, how and where does one report income from life insurance death benefits?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am using Turbo tax software to do my taxes. My income is from wages and some interest, but in 2016 I was also beneficiary to 2 life Insurance policies. I do not know where to report this income.

Accountant's Assistant: I can help you talk to the essay tutor. Thanks for coming to JustAnswer. How can we help?

I simply want to know how one reports death benefits.

Accountant's Assistant: OK. The essay tutor will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the essay tutor can help you best.

On November 7, 2015 an older sister died, naming me the beneficiary of 2 life insurance policies. I received forms from the companies which I filed in early 2016. Subsequently, I received 2 checks amounting to 7,675.28. In past years I have done my taxes manually, but decided to use software this year. However, I do not see an appropriate line for entering this income which I am sure must be reported

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the essay tutor should know?

This is all

4/8/2017
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

The reason you don't see anywhere to enter life insurance proceeds is that life insurance death benefits are not taxable. Sometimes there is a small amount of interest income on the death benefits between the date of death and the date the benefits were paid.

So, there's not any reporting of death benefits from life insurance proceeds.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive credit from the site for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,

Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert