Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I did an Installment agreement with IRS for tax year 2015;

this tax year (2016) I...
I did an Installment agreement with IRS for tax year 2015; this tax year (2016) I own taxes again but cannot afford to pay; Can I add this new debt (2015) to the old one (2014) if yes how is the procedure and I haven't file my 2016 taxes should I file it first before requesting new installment plan?
4/4/2017
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

If you owe $50,000. or less on your 2016 return, complete & attach Form 9465 to the face of your 2016 return and file it by the due date of April 18, 2017.

The IRS will contact you or you can call them to work out the details of combining the payments for both years but you may find that they will want to keep them separate depending upon the amounts involved.

You must file the 2016 return with the Form 9465 attached to the face of the return before the IRS will consider any modification of your existing agreement. They won't consider any modification unless you are current with your existing agreement.

Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert