Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Turbo tax states we need $8469 in medical expenses. We have…

Turbo tax states we need...
Turbo tax states we need $8469 in medical expenses. We have $10736.00 in medical expenses. Turbo Tax states we do not qualify, why?
4/3/2017
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Can you verify - for which purpose you need medical expenses and

for which tax benefit are you looking to qualify?

We need the medical expenses for itemized deductions to lower our income tax amount

To be considered for itemized deduction - your medical expenses must be more than 10% of your adjusted gross income (AGI)

That amount is reported on form 1040 line 37 - please verify.

We are over 65; therefore, it is only 7.5% & we have entered the data in turbo tax under Medical Expenses. We have not finished but we are over what turbo tax said we needed by $2267.00. AND turbo tax said we do not qualify for medical expenses. Why

Your adjusted gross income (AGI) is reported on form 1040 line 37 - can you please verify that amount.

We have verified it & still over on medical expenses by couple hundred dollars & have not finished entering as of yet
I made a mistake; 7.5% is $8468.93 & we have itemized $10736.00 thus far

Ok - then - can you verify amount of medical expenses reported on schedule A line 1 - ?

It is only showing $8218 on line 1; but on turbo tax it shows $10736 on the Medical in Deductions & Credits. Does turbo tax ask for information (items we entered) that is not counted for our deductions. Why are some of the items that we entered under Medical In Deduction & Credits not counted

First of all we need to verify which items are not taxable.

$10736 - $8218 = $2518 - can you verify what that amount represents?

and verify what exactly you entered?

why does turbo tax not not includes everything that we have entered as medical expenses. we have entered $10,736 of expenses, but turbo tax is only using $8,218.

Most likely - you entered not everything correctly....

However to verify what exactly is teh issue - we need to know which exact item has an issue.

We do not know! Nothing adds up to the $8,218. The largest two amounts add up to more and if I add the smaller amounts plus the largest it does not add up. I am at a loss.
prescriptions $2,018, professional fee $6,518, facility fees $566, lab fees $158, eyeware expense $80, supplies expense $37, Travel expense lodging(parking and food) $398, travel miles 5,058 miles

Based on your information $2518 that is the difference.

If you are not able to identify that amount.

The only option - to go one by one - remove and add it back - and see how it is counted.

Just the prescriptions $2,018 and professional fees $6,518 add up to more than the $8,218.
Thanks for your time. I don't think it helped.

So - if you have ONE line for prescriptions - delete it - and verify if if the total amount on line 1 is reduced by $2018 - if yes - that is reported correctly - so add it back.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor