Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a tax question pertaining to claiming my mother, I…

Customer Question
I have a tax...

I have a tax question pertaining to claiming my mother

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have been claiming my mother, 88, she went totally blind July 2016, is only receiving Social Security in the amount of 612.00 per month. Since going blind she now receives caregiving services that is paid for by the State of VA, Medicaid and food stamps and Medicaid assistance with medical. Can I still claim her as a dependent?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

No, I don't thinks so. I take full care of her in terms of providing shelter, food and clothing.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/1/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

There are certain requirements to claim your mother.

Basically in your situation - if you provide more than 50% of her support - she may be your dependent.

Tests To Be a Qualifying Relative

1. The person can't be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer.
2. The person either (a) must be related to you, or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law).
3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,050.
4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.

.

Regarding her social security benefits - if that is her ONLY income - nothing is taxable and not accounted toward $4050 income limit - so we are OK here.

So we mainly should verify support test. In this case - we also should consider support she is receiving form the state.

Let me know if you need any help with determination.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.