Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

A client of mine, married, has filed a joint return with her…

a client of mine, married...
a client of mine, married, has filed a joint return with her husband. he has disability income only and took a withdrawal from a retirement of $30000 with $6000 taken out, she has social security only. until she reached 65 she was on obamacare, in doing their taxes because of the increase from the withdrawal, they had to pay back $3900 in ins premium credits. Am I allowed to file them separate to avoid this. I know there will be difference in the amount of the tax owed, but she shouldn't have to file should she when only she has social security?
4/1/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

When you file MFS then your threshold for SS is $0, that would mean that if 85% of her SS is enough to require she file then, yes.

You are going to have to actually run the numbers as MFS and see if she is required to file.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4