Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can I deduct real estate taxes on the Federal tax form,

Can I deduct real...

Can I deduct real estate taxes on the Federal tax form, which I paid on land I own that is not my first or second home?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I bought land for hunting purposes. I paid real estate taxes on that land. Are these taxes deductable on the Federal form? The land was put into a LLC for liability purposes. It is NOT treated as a business because it will never make a profilt.

3/22/2017
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Yes, real property taxes are deductible....whether or not they are related to a first or second home or a business/rental property. You can confirm this at this IRS website (https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc503.html) which provides as follows:

"Deductible real estate taxes are generally any state, local, or foreign taxes on real property levied for the general public welfare. The charge must be uniform against all real property in the jurisdiction at a like rate."

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Tax Attorney

Thank you for the 4-star rating. I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time. It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.