Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Someone claimed my grandson on there taxes this year without…

Customer Question
Someone claimed my grandson...

Someone claimed my grandson on there taxes this year without my authorization. He has who has been living with me for the past 14 years and I have been claiming him and nobody else has the right to claim him but me. How do I find out who did this?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I spoke to my accountant and he said that I would have to make an appointment with the IRS. I am unable to take off of work to go into the IRS isn't there another way I can find this out?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
His name is***** Date of birth is 11/23/02 social security number is###-##-####
3/21/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

The IRS will NOT release information about another taxpayer without a proper authorization.

You will not be able to know that.

If you believe that you are the only person allowed to claim your grandson - you may do so - but because your grandson is already claimed -

you need to consider

- you will be ONLY able to mail your tax return to the IRS.

- you will need to attach copies of supporting documents to proof your eligibility.

The IRS will review your documents and will award your dependency claim if you qualify.

That procedure might take longer - but there is no shortcuts.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney