Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am a US citizen. I will be employed by a Canadian company…

Customer Question
I am a US...

I am a US citizen. I will be employed by a Canadian company and will be working in the US. Basically, I need to know all of the tax implications for this situation.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What else do you need to know?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I will have equity in the company also.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/21/2017
Tax Professional: ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi. Great Question.

Since the Canadian government does not pay into the U.S. Tax system, you place the amount on Schedule C and are subject to self-employment income. However, if you are not considered a "contractor" for the company and are considered an employee, you cannot claim any expenses on this form. Self-Employment tax is approximately a little over 15%. Also - you are able to deduct 1/2 of your self-employment tax, when you are figuring out your taxable income (that is subject to your regular income tax rate).

Equity in the company - no worries on taxes, until you sell it.

Let me know if you have any questions. If not, a positive rating is very much appreciated. Thank you.