Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I paid my real estate taxes in 2016 for the years 2015, 2014…

Customer Question
I paid my real...

I paid my real estate taxes in 2016 for the years 2015, 2014 and 2013. The total was in excess of $60,000.00. My tax preparer said that I could claim those taxes against my 2016 w 2 taxes paid in and that I could not go back and amend my previous returns

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/16/2017
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Hi from just answer. I'mCustomer He is correct.
As a cash basis individual, you are limited to deductions for taxes paid in a tax year. As you paid them in 2016, they are only deductible in 2016.
Thanks for asking your question at just answer. Please take a moment to rate my response using our feedback scale. I'mCustomer