Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

CAN A PERSON DEDUCT THE WORKING FROM HOME DEDUCTION IF THE…

CAN A PERSON DEDUCT THE...
CAN A PERSON DEDUCT THE WORKING FROM HOME DEDUCTION IF THE PERSON RECEIVED A W2... HE IS AN IT TECH
3/13/2017
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you work from home for the employer convenience than yes you can. If your employer does not have an adequate space for you to work or your employer wants you to work for him from a certain geographical area, for instance your employer is located in WI but need somebody to be physically present in IN than you can deduct business use of home expenses as part of your itemized deduction (form 2106). But if you work from home for your own convenience (employer allows flex time for instance) than no.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

this person worked from home since february 2016... he is a IT Support, he received a w2.. he does not have or company does not provide him with an office, so he has to work from home.. i just need to figure out the percentage of working from home.. can you help me figure out... thanks

What do you mean with percentage? What are you trying to deduct?

If he had a designated office at home that was used exclusively for his job he can deduct business use of home: percentage of all house related expenses or deduct $5 per square food (simplified method).

The deduction is limited by 2% of his AGI on Schedule A.

emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser