Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Tax Question Federal IRS: 2002, 2009, 2010 I was asked to

Tax Question Federal IRS: 2002, 2009...
Tax Question Federal IRS:
2002, 2009, 2010 I was asked to come to an I r s audit in 2012. At the time I could not come and called the agent as I had knee replacement surgery and could not walk. Both knees were replaced and I have the documentation. I had a small tax business from my home office and it nwas not profitable at the time and I could not take on additional clients. I had produced looses for 2008, 2009 and 2010. Without any items from me the agent said her supervisor wanted to close all of her accounts immediately and without any items from me reversed all of my expenses and said that I owed for all three years. This was not true.2011 was filed and refund recieved.2012 was filed and refund recieved.2013, 2014 and 2015 has been filed in 2016 as with the audit and with the IRS putting a collection on my accounts and technically closing all opportunities for me to obtain employment or provide financial services I was close to filing bankruptcy. I had to put all items in storage and the movers who I thought I could afford were not legitimate and took all of my belongings.I had moved to New York from Maryland as my where my father was but he died and we lost everything there also.I moved to Colorado as I had applied for jobs there and had an offer but once there they had filled the position internally.
I subsequently had to file for welfare and public assistance.The next offer I had was in Arizona where I took a very low paying call center job of which I was offered prior to moving to Arizona.As I filed my taxes in 2016, and took the returns to the I r s in Arizona. I never recieved my refund.I was eligible for social security in 2016 as I had become age 64.
The I r s garnished a portion of that leaving we further with limited resources.At this time I need help as to finding out where my refunds might be.Also how do I stop the garnishments and collections as I cannot obtain a decent job or proceed in any form of business.What department sends you statements and how do I follow up with IRS and states of Maryland, New York and now for 2016 I have to file in Arizona.I am barely able to pay rent and utilities.
I made a typo. the years for the audit was 2008, 2009 and 2010.I filed 2013, 2014 and 2015 in December of 2016.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2017
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

I have not heard any response and need this information as soon as possible. I sent the questions yesterday and you stated you would get back to me and have not.
I'm sorry. The response I posted yesterday is not showing now.I'll look at my computer to confirm, and resubmit a response if needed.PDtax

Nope, my response did not post to your question. here goes again:

You may be able to reopen your audit, and fix all of this. One way is an audit reconsideration. I suspect the statute is still open since you are paying on it.

Another way is to file form 911 (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f911.pdf) to ask the Taxpayer Advocate to assist.

A third way is to file for bankruptcy protection. It will stop the collection, and some courts use this as authority to revise bad tax decisions or audits. Your bankruptcy court makes that determination.

Another thing to be aware of

is that your state likely require a report of federal changes (that's the NY form) to report the Federal audit changes. Without that, bankruptcy court will not have the authority to discharge the state debts arising from the audit (since you never filed to start the statute of limitations).

You might be able to negotiate as uncollectible (the loss of your income would create a hardship).

Sorry for the technical difficulties. Please review, then rate my assistance. I'm PDtax.

PDtax
PDtax
PDtax