Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Does a Non-Profit have to be tax exempt to give donation

receipts for household goods or...
Does a Non-Profit have to be tax exempt to give donation receipts for household goods or money to help it run?
3/7/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

The federal tax code allows individuals and businesses to make noncash contributions to qualifying charities and to claim deductions for these contributions on their tax returns.

Gifts of donated property, clothing, and other noncash items have long been an important source of revenue for many charitable organizations and a popular deduction for taxpayers.

The charity must be a recognized by the IRS as a 501c3 organization. Churches are not required to apply but most do.

The IRS keeps a list of charitable organizations here

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/organizations-eligible-to-receive-tax-deductible-charitable-contributions

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
If I have a non-profit that does not buy anything and does not want to have a tax exempt number on purchases, can I still give a donation receipt to people and businesses? Or do I have to have a tax exempt status to do that

You would need to apply to the IRS for exempt status.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4