Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can amended returns be filed for an individual or person who…

Customer Question
Can amended returns be...

Can amended returns be filed for an individual or person who is currently deceased using 1040X?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

We would like to file amended returns 2013, 2014 and 2015 to take advantage of the healthcare deductions related to full-time alzheimer's care clinic costs.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Unfortunately, the person whose taxes were filed is now deceased.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Tax
3/2/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 11 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Yes - that is possible - and if we are within the statute of limitation (normally three years) - the IRS will issue a refund.
If a personal representative has been appointed, that person must sign the return.

If it is a joint return, the surviving spouse must also sign it. If no personal representative has been appointed, the surviving spouse (on a joint return) signs the return and writes in the signature area “Filing as surviving spouse.” If no personal representative has been appointed and if there is no surviving spouse, the person in charge of the decedent's property must file and sign the return as “personal representative.”

Write the word “DECEASED,” the decedent's name, and the date of death across the top of the tax return.

If the personal representative is filing a claim for refund on Form 1040X, attach Form 1310 for the refund check to be issued in a name of the personal representative.

Does the 1040X need to be attached to a copy of the original return? Also, I have this years tax refund coming in my mother's name ... since she is now deceased how can I cash it?

Does the 1040X need to be attached to a copy of the original return?

That is not needed.

The IRS already has the original tax return.

Also, I have this years tax refund coming in my mother's name ... since she is now deceased how can I cash it?

Yes - you may cash it as a personal representative.

But you will need to talk to your bank if they accept your authorization.

For instance if you are listed on your mother's bank account - you will be able to deposit and cash that check.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor