Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

A taxpayer files a head of household return in 2015 & claims

A taxpayer files a head...
A taxpayer files a head of household return in 2015 & claims his daughter. The daughter graduates college in December of 2015. She moves home & lives with her father from 12/22/15 - 9/14/2016. She moves to an apartment on 9/15/2016. She was employed on & off in 2016 & her gross compensation is 22k (she nets approx. 17k). However, the taxpayer pays more than 1/2 of her expenses in 2016. Can he claim her on his 2016 return. If so, can he file head of household again in 2016 since she lived with him for the majority of the year?
3/1/2017
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

As the daughter was not a full time student and likely was not below 19 - she may not be qualifying child.
So - we need to verify whether she may be qualifying relative?

Tests To Be a Qualifying Relative

1. The person can't be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer.
2. The person either (a) must be related to you or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law).
3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,050.
4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.

.

What we see from your information - #3 is questionable - if daughter's gross income is above $4050 - she may not be dependent.

Correspondingly - the taxpayer without qualifying dependent may not use HOH filing status unless there are other qualifying persons.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor