Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am filing a joint return with my husband he owes back

Customer Question
I am filing a...

I am filing a joint return with my husband he owes back child support but has no taxable income he is on disability should I file form 8139

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am filing a joint return with my husband he owes back child support but he has no taxable income as he is on disability do I need to file form 8139

Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Tax
made a mistake it is form 8379
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/27/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 12 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If you file a joint return and all or part of your refund is applied against your spouses’ past-due federal tax, state income tax, child or spousal support or federal nontax debt, such as a student loan, you may be entitled to injured spouse relief.

To be considered an injured spouse, you must have made and reported tax payments, such as federal income tax withheld from wages or estimated tax payments, or claimed a refundable tax credit, such as the earned income credit or additional child tax credit on the joint return, and not be legally obligated to pay the past-due amount.

If you filed a joint return and you're not responsible for the debt, but you are entitled to a portion of the refund you may request your portion of the refund by filing Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation.

That will allow you to avoid garnishment on your portion of the tax refund.

But that will not resolved your spouse's debt obligations....

Let me know if you need any help with filing this form.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor