Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Married filing separate on the form 8958 and splitting of

Customer Question
the amounts equally as we...
married filing separate on the form 8958 and splitting of the amounts equally as we live in WA state. how exactly are you supposed to figure out the community property tax withholding adjustment as most of the software's want an addition of adjustment and/or a subtraction of adjustment. Also what is required to be split equally- wages, any taxes withheld, any income, deduction- child, union dues, standard deduction, donations, moving expenses, job expenses, etc.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Tax
2/26/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 9 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

All items that are considered community income are divided.
Items that are separate - are not divided.

For instance - if you are moving and eligible for moving expense deduction - that item is NOT divided between spouses.

If you are using standard deduction - donations, job expenses and union dues will not be deducted - nothing to split.

Let me know if you concerned about any specific items.

with the answered information being split in half as needed and the other areas like the moving exp. that isn't divided how is the addition of adjustment and/or a subtraction of adjustment factored at the end of the 8958 form to be able to enter the numbers (addition of adjustment and subtraction of adjustment)?

If you file separate returns, you and your spouse each must attach your Form 8958 to your Form 1040 to identify your community and separate income, deductions, credits, and other return amounts according to the laws of your state.

It is very important that you both agree of allocations.

you must report half of all community income and all of your separate income. Likewise, your spouse must report half of all community income and all of his or her separate income on his or her federal tax return.

For each income and deduction - we must clear determine if that community item or separate item.

Salaries, wages, and other pay received for the services performed by you, your spouse, or both - these are community income items and must be allocated.

Correspondingly - taxes withheld form community income will be a community deduction and also must be allocated.

But not all items are community - those paid from your separate funds - not martial funds - will be your separate deductions.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor