Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My husband and I have been filing "married joint return".

My husband and I...

My husband and I have been filing "married joint return". Can we elect to file "married-separately" this year. If so can one of us take the standard deduction and the other itemize deductions?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What else would you need to know?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Ok. My husband had to take his RMD and this has pushed us from a 15% bracket to a 25% bracket, resulting in a substantial increase in what we owe for income tax. We both receive social security, we both continue to work and now my husband is collecting his RMD which increased our income by 1

2/24/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

You and your husband change back and forth from year to year in filing joint an married filing separate.

For the years you file separate, if one of you itemizes the other has to as well, even if it means more tax for one of you.

You can file separate but you must both itemize or both use standard deduction.

Please let me know if you need clarification. If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How would we separate deductions such as mortgage interest & property tax.

You can split evenly or in whatever % you both agree on.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4