Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What is required to receive earned income credit? I have 5

what is required to receive...
what is required to receive earned income credit?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have 5 children and i was told i may only be able to receive credit for 2 of them.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: i have one son in college and he has my mothers address, but DMV has his correct address. do i need proof of his address?
2/11/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

The Earned Income Credit has 3 different credit calculations. One for those with no children, one for those with one child, and then one for those with 2 or more children.

EIC is not increased past having 2 or more qualifying individuals (children).

It is not that you can not get credit, but, that the credit doe not calculate nay more for 3 , 4, or 5 children than if does for 2.

You can claim your children as dependents for the exemptions which reduce income but for EIC I generally advise taxpayers to list the 2 youngest children on the Actual EIC form.

If your son is temporarily away at college that does not stop you claiming him as a dependent.

Please let me know if you need clarification. If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response. (scroll and look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES)

Thank you, ***** ***** have more questions, can I ask or do i have to register again.

You can access this when you log back in if you need more information about EIC.

This is not erased.

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4