Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

I had cancer in 2011 and I am now 70. I have not filed

Customer Question

I had cancer in 2011 and I am now 70. I have not filed income taxes since then. I asked a tax person a few years back about it and was told that I do not need to worry about it. I just want to make certain that that is still the case.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: My husband passed away March 17, 2016. He was 75 at the time.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your husband and I hope that your illness is behind you.

Whether or not you are required to file a tax return, depends upon the amount of your income.

For example, if your only income is Social Security, then you would not need to file any Income Tax Returns.

However, if you are receiving a pension from either your own or your husband's employment, and/or you have investment income or securities sales, then it is likely that you would be required to file.

So, you'll need to give me some estimated figures for me to give you more than that general answer.

Just checking in.............

I see that you have had a chance to review my response.

Do you have any follow-up questions?

If not, I would appreciate it if you would rate my response as that is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you.

Thanks very much,

Good Morning..........................................

Just wondering if you are having a problem with the rating system?

If so, you can just indicate your rating here in words; hopefully excellent.

There's no charge for providing me with a rating.