Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

How do i calculate what my withheld federal tax should be

Customer Question

Hello, how do i calculate what my withheld federal tax should be for the year?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Hi i am trying to figure out the amount of my federal income tax withheld for the year. Just trying to get an idea of my return while i wait for my w2s.
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No I claimed my self and another dependent.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. If I could get a little additional information I would be better able to help you. What is your filing status (single, married)? Do you have any other sources of income? Do you have a copy of your paystub from December?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
head of household.. single. no other source of income.

Do you know what your wages were for last year? Your approximate withholding?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I dont. generally speaking what percentage of your wages are federally withheld?

Do you know approximately how much you made? How many children are you claiming?

If you have an approximate amount of your wages I could give you a ballpark figure.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
$22,400 Claiming 2 children

If you file as head of household and have $22,400 of income you would not have any tax liability. You would receive a refundable tax credit of $2,000. You also would receive the earned income credit if you qualify.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
atleast 2,000 of my wages should of been federally withheld? all im asking is if in the box on my w2s that say federal tax withheld what number should be in that box if my taxable wages was 22,400?

No you would not need to withhold any taxes. Any taxes that were withheld would add to your refund. The $2,000 child credit is a refundable credit. This will increase your refund. Based on your level of income you do not owe any federal taxes. Any withholding would be refunded.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I know that i just want to know what amount would be withheld for federal taxes if my wages are 22,400 how do i figure out the percentage held for federal taxes is all im asking. I

That amount would be determined by the W-4 that you completed and the number of allowances that you claimed. Let's assume that you completed the W-4 as head of household with 3 allowances. Let me check what the withholding would be. Please give me a moment.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok thank you

Based on $22,400, single, and 3 allowances you would have just under $800 of withholding.

This is assuming that you worked the entire year. If you only worked part of the year the withholding may be higher.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
that helps thank you!

That is good. It was my pleasure. I was happy to help. If you would take a moment to rate my response I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way that I will receive credit for helping you today. There should be stars located above the question. Thank you.