How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29569
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a 1099A, I have been a co mortgager on a property

Customer Question

I received a 1099A, I have been a co mortgager on a property that my son a daughter inlaw live in, evidently they are in foreclosure and the property was auctioned. I think they need to be out by next month. I have never received any documents or info on this property they always been the primary and took whatever deductions. Now all of sudden i have been desinated the primary and received the 109A. Is this legal?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I am retired and rec SS and a pension
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 months ago.

The main issue - if you are the owner of the property and if your name listed on the title?
I assume that is the issue.

Expert:  Lev replied 5 months ago.

You may want to contact your local authorities and verify whether you are listed the owner on the tax record - and if yes - that would be correct to issue 1099A in your name.
Another issue we need to verify - the price paid when the property was purchased AND the value listed on 1099A.
Most likely - your tax liability would not be affected.

Let me know if you need further help with determination. I will help you with this issue.