How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15301
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have already sent my taxes for 2016. But forgot to enter

Customer Question

I have already sent my taxes for 2016. But forgot to enter my social security dollar amount for the year.
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: hp
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: the new hp version
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need to amend my taxes that have already been sent.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 months ago.

You will need to wait until your original return is processed by the IRS to send in an amended return. No matter what software or program you are using the form 1040X is used for this but the IRS will not accept an amendment by e-file.

Make sure you print and save a copy of the original before you select to amend as most programs do not retain the original after you change to amend.