Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have already sent my taxes for 2016. But forgot to enter

Customer Question
my social security dollar amount...
I have already sent my taxes for 2016. But forgot to enter my social security dollar amount for the year.
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: hp
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: the new hp version
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need to amend my taxes that have already been sent.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Tax
1/30/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 9 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

You will need to wait until your original return is processed by the IRS to send in an amended return. No matter what software or program you are using the form 1040X is used for this but the IRS will not accept an amendment by e-file.

Make sure you print and save a copy of the original before you select to amend as most programs do not retain the original after you change to amend.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4