Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I ma going on a mission trip soley for the mission trip no

Customer Question
hi i ma going on...
hi i ma going on a mission trip soley for the mission trip no external travel how much of the flight can i deduct
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: doing a trip overseas for habitat for humaity
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: i dont think so
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Tax
1/29/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 9 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

As you might aware - you can't deduct the value of your time or services, including:

- the value of income lost while you work as an unpaid volunteer for a qualified organization.

HOWEVER - although you can't deduct the value of your services given to a qualified organization, you may be able to deduct some amounts you pay in giving services to a qualified organization. The amounts must be:

Unreimbursed,

Directly connected with the services,

Expenses you had only because of the services you gave, and

Not personal, living, or family expenses.

Specifically - you will be able to deduct the full value of tickets you pay out of pocket.

Deductible travel expenses. These include:

Air, rail, and bus transportation,

Out-of-pocket expenses for your car,

Taxi fares or other costs of transportation between the airport or station and your hotel,

Lodging costs, and

The cost of meals.

i read all that on the IRS website which my trip will be all those things but how do they determine the amount that i wil be reinmbersed

First of all - if the charitable organization will reimburse a part of your expenses - that reimbursed amount will not be deductible.
ONLY unreimbursed expenses may be deducted on your tax return.

Whether the charitable organization is going to reimburse you - that is something you need to discuss with that organization. There is no requirements to reimburse you any expenses - that is is based solely on your agreement with that organization.
You still will need a statement form the charitable organization regarding the amount you spent out of pocket for charitable purposes.
For that - you will need to collect all receipts and provide a report to the charitable organization.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor