Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I understand the statute of limitations for IRS Debt is 10

years from the date it...
I understand the statute of limitations for IRS Debt is 10 years from the date it was assessed. My debt was assessed 12 years ago. My account was place on non-collectible status in 2010. I am wondering if by placing the account on non-collectible status the statute of limitations started all over again?
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/29/2017
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Please give me a moment to prepare your response.

Being in non-collectible status does not extend the statute of limitations for collection of the tax. You are correct that the statute is 10 years once the taxes are assessed.

What should I do to get that released?? Should I just call the IRS and tell them the statute of limitations has expired?

Do you know when the taxes were assessed? Is the IRS still pursuing collection?

My taxes were assessed in 2005. They sent me a reminder letter every year with the amount I owe, but they are not calling me or sending me letters to garnish my wages or anything like that. Im assumming is because the account is on non-collectible status.

If you are still in non-collectible status then you do not need to do anything. It is likely that the IRS let the statute expire.

Mark Taylor
Ok.
Thanx

It was my pleasure. I was happy to help.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor