Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Have a current w-2 and want to file for 2016 income tax.

Need to file for a...
Have a current w-2 and want to file for 2016 income tax. Need to file for a TIN. I was told that I would file the 1040 using the information on the W-2, and include a W-7 with ID such as my pass port. Is this the right steps to file a return without a TIN assigned yet or applied for? Under my understanding, I need to apply for the TIN with my current 1040? Do you know?
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/28/2017
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Yes - your assumptions are correct - you will apply for ITIN and attach your current tax return to ITIN application.
The IRS will review your application and will process your tax return AFTER they assign ITIN.

How do I apply for an ITIN?
Use the latest revision of Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to apply. Attach a valid federal income tax return, unless you qualify for an exception, and include your original proof of identity or copies certified by issuing agency and foreign status documents.
Because you are filing your tax return as an attachment to your ITIN application, you should not mail your return to the address listed in the Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ instructions. Instead, send your return, Form W-7 and proof of identity and foreign status documents to:
Internal Revenue Service
Austin Service Center
ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX###-##-####

.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
have a passport is that enough for identity? And what should be included as foreign status

Please be aware that you can apply for an ITIN in-person using the services of an IRS-authorized Certified Acceptance Agent or make an appointment at a designed IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center. This will prevent you from having to mail your proof of identity and foreign status documents.
For specific documents - see instructions - page 2 - Supporting Documentation.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

The passport may be used for both purposes - as proof of identity and foreign status.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you