Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I was on disability in 2016 I had no other income I am now

currently on retirement do I...
I was on disability in 2016 I had no other income I am now currently on retirement do I have to file taxes on that disability income
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/13/2017
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. Whether or not your disability income is taxable is going to depend upon what kind of disability payments you received. Here are the rules (https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901145-is-disability-income-taxable):

"Worker's comp and service-connected veteran's disability payments aren't taxable and don't need to be reported on your return.

In addition, disability benefits for loss of income or earning capability resulting from injuries under a no-fault auto insurance policy aren't taxable either.

Disability paid by an insurance company for lost wages, loss of limb, loss of sight (etc.) may or may not be taxable, depending on circumstance:

• If the premiums were paid by your employer and were not included in your taxable income, the disability is taxable.
  • If you paid the premiums out of your own pocket or with payroll deductions that came out of your after-tax income, the disability is not taxable.
  • If you and your employer jointly paid the premiums, only the disability amount covered by your employer's payments are taxable."

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

This info did not really help me it really didn't answer my question I was put on disability from my doctor I was already laid off at the time I have several medical problems that will not allow me to work so I went on his disability
I am on fixed income I can't afford a lot of taxes that's why I need to know even paying for this is going to be a hardship for me

Thanks for following up. Can you tell me who is paying the disability income? Is this from a private insurance company through which you have a disability policy? Or, is this from the government...like SS disability? Thanks.

Social Security is paying for it
I had SSI

Thank you! It's not likely you are going to owe any taxes on these payments. It depends upon the total amount of the payments you received. Since you had no other income, it's not likely the amount you received exceeded the threshold amount.

To determine whether any of your benefits may be taxable, compare the base amount for your filing status with the total of:

• One-half of your benefits; plus
  • All of your other income, including tax-exempt interest.

The base amount for your filing status is:

My total amount of benefits paid was $12,624 so by going by what you listed I should not have to pay thank you let me know if I am wrong
This was my only income I am 66 and I am single

That is correct. :) Have a blessed day! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Richard, Tax Attorney

Thank you so much for the excellent rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time!

Richard, Tax Attorney