Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My husband and I are living apart but still married how do

Customer Question
we file for state and...
my husband and I are living apart but still married how do we file for state and federal and how do we handle the separate rents for the state taxes
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: i moved closer to my job and he stayed so we are currently paying 2 separate rents i want to know how to file and the rent issues for the claiming on state taxes
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: i don't think so
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Tax
1/11/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 10 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help

...

Married individuals have only two possibilities as a filing status; (1) Married Filing Jointly (which will likely provide the best OVERALL results because of he higher standard deductions and lower tax rates on the same level of income, and

...

(2) Married Filing Separately (which may make things easier for you) but for the higher income earner (all other things being equal) less desirable, financially.

...

And you'll have to provide a little more information about the rent part of your question. Rent is generally no deductible unless paid for business purposes.

...

It's certainly possible that there may be state specific rent credits, etc.

...

Can you please tell me more about the rent question you are asking AND tell me your state as well?

...

Thanks. I'll be here.

...

Lane

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents since 1986.

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS