Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How do I contact discover to pay a judgement owed to them.

Customer Question
Is it possible to negotiate...
How do I contact discover to pay a judgement owed to them. Is it possible to negotiate a lower pay back? Do you have contact info. I would like to pay this debt by January 24,2017
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page. Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Judgement filed by Discover even as we were in negotiations to pay.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, can this debt be negotiated down and I will pay by Jan 25, 2017
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
1/10/2017
Tax Professional: Christopher B, Esq., Tax Attorney replied 1 year ago
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Tax Attorney

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you help meet connect with discover and work out a deal to pay this at a lower cost?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will this cLl result in connecting with discove and getting this debt paid off?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Call*

I cannot represent you or help you meet with them. This is not possible and this site is only informational only. Do you want to continue with this question?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. And thank you for your time.

OK, good luck.

Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 year ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Different expert here - my name is ***** ***** please allow me to provide you with information you will find helpful.

It is better to settle a debt before judgment if possible, because the you have more leverage. The fact that Discover took the time and expense to get the judgment means they think you have income or assets worth pursuing.

However,

you may be able to negotiate a discount to the debt in return for a lump sum payment or monthly installments.

My best advice is to contact Discover as soon as possible and negotiate a discount as well as an acceptable payment schedule (lump sum or installments).

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You did not tell me anything I did not know. This is not what I asked.

I apologize, but there is no way for me to have knowledge of what you know or do not know.

Your question was

"Yes, can this debt be negotiated down and I will pay by Jan 25, 2017"

I provided an answer to your question. You can negotiate the amount to be paid, but you would have had greater leverage before the judgment was entered.

I will opt out so another expert can assist you.

Thank you.

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent