How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3166
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently filed tax returns from 07-12, personal and

This answer was rated:

Hi. I recently filed tax returns from 07-12, personal and business. In 2009 I was In a bad car accident and it was also at the height of the economy meltdown. I spent 45 days I. The hospital, broken spin, femur and ankle. I recovered but was left with having to sell off business assets etc to survive. My returns are showing amounts owed to me for 4 of the years for a total of $10,500 but there ITS doesn't do refund over 3 years unless their is an event. Why do I need to fill out to try receive my refund from this period? Please and thank you for any advise.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: So the event/events in looking for hardship is my personal accident (wasn't able to think on for 2 years because of brain trauma) and also the economic melt down. Just need some direction and if this is grounds to stand to try and get my refunds from those years.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Did you collect social security disability, did the head trauma made you incapacitated in any form? Unless you can prove that between 2009 and now you were mentally disabled and required legal guardianship or were in a mental institute, the IRS will not make an exception. Economic meltdown does not prevents you from filing a tax return on time. Even if you were not able to think strait for two years, you still had until April 2013 to file your 2009 return.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. And I also had a few bank account levied over the past years for a few thousand dollars. Can I ask to have these moneys returned to me ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The statute of limitation says that you have 3 years from due date of the return OR 2 years after payment had been made to claim your refund. So technically you can request a refund for the levies in the last couple of years if your accounts were levied to satisfy the balance due for the expired years 2009 - 2012.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

emc011075 and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you