Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

I have a fresh start initiative plan set up with the irs.

Customer Question

I have a fresh start initiative plan set up with the irs. How do I change the checking acct that the monthly amount is directly debited from?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Unfortunately you would need to contact the IRS to change the banking information.

You would need to contact 1-***-***-****.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Once I call, what options will I need to press to get to the right department?

You would select option 2. The wait times are brutal. You are probably looking at an hour plus wait.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Once I get to option 2, I am asked for another option there are 4-5 series of options that I need to go through. I don't have time to wait for 1 hour just to get to the wrong department. Please specify all the options necessary. Thx.

You would select Option 2, Option 1, Option 3, and Option 2. At this point it should prompt you to enter your Social Security number.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Once I get to that point, I am asked to create a pin# ***** the automated system. I don't need to do that. I need to talk to someone live.

Do you have a recent notice or bill from the IRS?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No

I just tried the number and went through the options. Once I entered my Social Security number it provides a list of 7 options. Option 5 will provide you detailed information on your account.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Once I press option 5, then what? I need to get to the right department to change my acct #. Thx.

This should take you to someone that would be able to help you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It does not matter what combination of option that are chosen. Either you get to a point where you are asked to establish a pin #, or there is a statement that "this option is no longer answered by an irs agent."

The IRS is making very difficult to accomplish anything. Here is another number !-***-***-****. This line is a practitioner's hotline. There are 3 options. Select the individual option. The will give you an estimate of the wait time. Sometimes you will receive a message that due to high call volume we are unable to take your call.