Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I do contract work for an Australian Company, usually in

Customer Question
Hi, I do contract work...
Hi, I do contract work for an Australian Company, usually in other countries but my residence is in FL. They do not 1099 me, how do I go about claiming the income, or do I not have to?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I know of
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
1/9/2017
Tax Professional: Christopher B, Esq., Tax Attorney replied 1 year ago
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Tax Attorney

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and I will get you an answer drafted.

You have to declare income earned from abroad according to the IRS even if you do not receive a 1099: see link: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/income-from-abroad-is-taxable

The IRS considers undocumented cash income (no W-2 or 1099-MISC), for work performed, to be self employment income. You list your miscellaneous income on a Form 1040 Schedule C, Profit and Loss from Business. Add smaller payments to money that was reported on a1099-MISC and put the total on the "gross receipts" line. You just have to note the total, not list where it came from.

If you have to pay taxes in Australia or elsewhere, you will get a deduction or credit on your U.S. taxes.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions if you feel your questions has not been fully answered. See link on how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?

Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Tax Attorney