Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

We just found out on my husbands w-2 that his employer has

Customer Question

we just found out on my husbands w-2 that his employer has not been withholding the correct amount from his w-4 form. Becasue of this we now owe on our 2016 taxes.. is there anything we can do because the mistake was the employers fault? I know the tax liability is on us but i feel like they are the ones that messed up the withholding number that caused the problem
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: not sure.. they told my husband his w-4 says he is single and is claiming 4 dependents which is not the case and drastically different than his origional w-4 he filled out when he started the job.. they had them update them at the begining of the year and at the same time they screwed up my husbands paycheck because there is another employee with the same name as him
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately, if the W4 that was given to the employer was marked Single ( a higher rate than married) and 4 then the employer was correct to follow and withhold based on that information.

The employer has the responsibility to withhold tax based on the W4 the employee completes and to remit that tax to the govt.

The employee has the responsibility to make sure they complete the W4 correctly and ot check their tax throughout the year.