Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Was called for a sales tax audit.. 1person with no invoice

Customer Question
to show..sell on ebay what...
was called for a sales tax audit.. 1person with no invoice to show..sell on ebay what should I do
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: State wants to see invoices and I have none all my purchases are from garage sales and tag sales never knew I had to file fo a tax number
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: just want some direction or consultation...rec'd letter on Jan1 and have 30 days to respond
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/9/2017
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. What state do you live in? Approximately how much in sales did you have?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
new York state..never kept records small time seller never knew I had too ..many people online and never collect sales tax...I just file my federal and state in april and the w99 I get from paypal thats it

I would assume that you received a lot of your payments from Paypal. Are you able to download any information from Ebay or Paypal?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just need direction dont need to talk

That is fine. Chat messages are more than acceptable. The solicitation for a phone call is from the website and not me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried, but to no avail....just the monthly sales reports that i get from ebay
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
paypal probably was the party that gave my name to the state audit department

You should have collected sales tax on your sales to customers within New York.

What year is the state auditing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Some type of law from 2010 thats how far they want to see records, but again I never kept records on sales from Ny to ny
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, I never get invoices since all my purchases are from garage sales , tag sales and flea market.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you still there

For your sales tax audit your purchase price is not a problem. I am trying to see if there is any way to get the historical information from Paypal. Please give me a few moments.

If you go to Paypal and select the reports tab at the top of the page. The next page will give you the option to select activity download. Once you select the activity download there is the following disclaimer near the top of the page: "The following changes are now available in the activity download experience: The "shopping cart details" will now show as a single row by default; "quantity" field has been added. Can't find something else? You can still use the older version of the activity download tool by switching back.​"

If you select the switching back option it will take you to another page where you can download the information from prior years.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
dont know where you got the info from, but for me its not working

I just tried it on the Paypal site.

Do you see the activity tab at the top of the page when you log into your account in Paypal?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got into the Activiity page, but that page is for all my sales not just for new york
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
for each transaction in paypal I would have to open up each one to see where the sale is from

There should be an activity download tab that gives you the option to switch back to the old format. This will give you the option to change the time period of the report.

I understand that you would need to open each transaction. I was hoping that paypal would produce a historical report with this information. I tried to download a report for 2010 to see what kind of information would be on it. I am still waiting for the report to be produced.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The info only goes back to 2014 and it would be a hassle in it self just to open up each one

I know it will be a hassle but you are going to need to show the state where the product was shipping. I would assume that a large portion of your items were shipped to customers outside of New York. These items would not be subject to sales tax. Without providing documentation the state will assume that all of the sales were to New York residents.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thats not right....the state knows ebay is a world wide market and I only do about 60 sales a month and a small number of those sales maybe 10 or 15 go to the new York area
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess you cant help me with the sales tax laws of new York..thanks

I know that it is not right. That is why that you need to show the state where your sales are being generated. There is no sales tax on items shipped outside of New York.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I understand that that there are no sales tax outside of new York , but Unfortunately I dont have the records to prove which sales went where..never knew I had to keep such records, but now I have to file for a tax i.d. according to their letter.millions of people sell on ebay and they have to pick a small casual seller ..like me
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks again.

I am sure that the auditor is familiar with Ebay. It is possible if you can shows that only a small percentage of sales occur in Ebay during the period that you have access to information, then this percentage could be applied to past years. I am sure that you are not the first person that is in this situation.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm sure I'm not the only one that will be audited .. their going to have a field day with this

The auditor is likely going to require that you document the sales activity for the information that you have. So you may need to create a spreadsheet of your sales and where they were sent. If you have 60 sales a month you are looking at a long project.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney