How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55285
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When it comes to claiming a child on taxes with alternating

Customer Question

When it comes to claiming a child on taxes with alternating year's. Is it If you are given odd years do you:
A. Claim him in 2017 for the prior year
B. Wait until 2018 to claim him for the 2017 year.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Good morning. It's the tax year that is the determining factor, not the year in which the tax return is actually filed. So, if you are given the odd years, you would have the 2017 tax year. The return for the 2017 tax year would be filed in 2018.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars J). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!