Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

When it comes to claiming a child on taxes with alternating

Customer Question
year's. Is it If...
When it comes to claiming a child on taxes with alternating year's. Is it If you are given odd years do you:
A. Claim him in 2017 for the prior year
Or
B. Wait until 2018 to claim him for the 2017 year.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Tax
1/9/2017
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 10 months ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. It's the tax year that is the determining factor, not the year in which the tax return is actually filed. So, if you are given the odd years, you would have the 2017 tax year. The return for the 2017 tax year would be filed in 2018.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars J). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Tax Attorney