Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Give me information related to contributions given to

Customer Question
Please give me information related...
Please give me information related to contributions given to churches and houses of worship. If a contribution check is written and dated 12/31/2016 but is not handed in to the facility until 1/1/2017 can the contribution be deducted on the 2016 Tax filling?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: The question is which year is the deduction applied too, 2016or 2017?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Tax
1/9/2017
Tax Professional: taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 10 months ago
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

The answer to that question depends on who holds the check. If you put the check in the mail, and it is out of your control, then you get the deduction in 2016. If you personally hold on to the check until 2017, then you get the deduction in 2017. There are tax cases on this. The reason the rule is like this is in case you decided to hold on to the check for a couple of weeks, until your cash flow improves.

In practicality, if the check is given to the charity on 1/1/2017 and is cashed or deposited by them on that day, it would probably not be anything that would raise a red flag with the IRS. The charity would have to acknowledge that the check was for the 2016 year. But technically, it should have been given to the charity on 12/31/2016 in order to get a 2016 deduction.

In order to get the deduction, the check has to be out of your hands, out of your control.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Thanks! Have a great week!

Thank you very much. This settles the discussion.

No problem! If you have any questions in the future, please feel free to ask for me.

Thanks!

Please don't forget to rate me. This is how the questions get closed and I get credit.

I just noticed that on my side, the question remains open. Can you please rate me so that this question is closed?

Thanks!

taxmanrog
taxmanrog