Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

My live in girl friend is unemployed. If I claim her as a

Customer Question

My live in girl friend is unemployed. If I claim her as a dependant am I required to provide health insurance?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: What more do you wish to know?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I do not believe so. She has lived with me for over a year.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.

The provision for responsibility applies to individuals of all ages, including children.

The adult or married couple who can claim a child or another individual as a dependent for federal income tax purposes is responsible for making the payment if the dependent does not have coverage or an exemption.

Yes, if you claim a dependent you are responsible for their health coverage. Unless she had minimum health coverage during the year you will pay a penalty. You would use form 8965 when you file.

You only make a payment for the months you or a member of your household did not have coverage or qualify for a coverage exemption.