Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My son had stock, I was the custodial person. We changed

Customer Question

My son had stock, I was the custodial person. We changed that last year and we are joint on the stock. We sold some of it. How are taxes paid on this.
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine.
Customer: Who pays the taxes, he is 32
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: He moved in with me a year ago and has no income. When they look it up, they find it under my social security number, but shows us as co-owners
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

If you are co-owners, you each report 50% of any gain.

...

Capital gain = sales price - basis

...

Basis is the purchase price of the stock.

...

The tax you each pay will be determined by the OTHER income on your return (and the size of the gain)

...

Long-term gains and qualified dividends taxed at

• 0% if taxable income falls in the 10% or 15% marginal tax brackets
  • 15% if taxable income falls in the 25%, 28%, 33%, or 35% marginal tax brackets
  • 20% if taxable income falls in the 39.6% marginal tax bracket

...

So depending on the size of the gain, your son MAY owe nothing.

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

The filing threshold for a single filer is is the 6300 standard deduction plus the 4050 personal exemption.

...

So if his share of the gain is less than 10350 then he doesn't have enough taxable income to file.

...

If it IS over that, then the rate may still be zero, if his TOTAL taxable income is under 36,900 (where ordinary income rates move to 25% and capital gains are taxed at 15%)