Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am a teacher in Manitoba but have not filed a tax return

Customer Question
for probably ten years....
I am a teacher in Manitoba but have not filed a tax return for probably ten years. Went through a long divorce, money was tight for a few years. . .Lots of stress. . .Can I go ahead and file this coming spring without getting into trouble? I have never heard from revenue Canada but worry a lot about this
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/6/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 year ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

No. You will not get in trouble.

CRA knows that people fall behind for many different reasons.

If you have had a job, your employer is already sending in tax money on your behalf, so it's unlikely you owe a lot of taxes, if at all.

Do the most recent year first. Then tackle the older ones. Who knows? You may be entitled to some refund money.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please let me know so I can further assist you.

Thank you.

Barb

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. ***** file a tax return for the most recent year will that filing then put in motion a request from CRA for the other missing years ?

Not necessarily, because you have not received any notifications from them thus far.

My best guess is that you are due a refund--that's why you haven't heard from them.

Thank you.

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent