Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I have a condo storage unit in bullhead nevada that I

Customer Question

I have a condo storage unit in bullhead nevada that I purchased and recieved a quick deed from the seller. I get a tax bill in the mail and his wife is still on the title along with me. cannot locate her or him... how do I get her name off title?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: what do you mean?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: my name is ***** ***** along with hers
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have had this condo 10 years
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
bullhead city arizona
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

...

There are really two options here;

...

(1) Get her to sign an quit-claim form as well. (All a quit-claim deed does is "quit the claim" that someone has in an ownership interest in an asset)

...

If they owned jointly and she did not sign the quit claim or do her own, she technically still have a 50% interest.

...

(2) given that you can't locate you'll need to ask the NV court to give you ful ownership under what's called adverse possession, "color of title."

...

Nevada adverse possession laws require an individual to occupy an otherwise neglected property publicly for at least 5 years with "color of title" and/or payment of property taxes. ("Color or title" generally means he or she has reason to believe they have the right to possess the property).

...

As long as you have been paying the taxes, you will have no problem (you're fortunate in that some state require as many as 20 years of adverse possession)

Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

Here's your legal citation:

..

Code Section11.070, 110, 150, 180

Time Period Required for Occupation - 5 yrs. and Color of Title: 5 yrs. and Color of Title/Payment of Taxes: 5 yrs.

...

You should start the process by calling the tax assessors office for bullhead. Each jurisdiction is a little different, in terms of process. But from a legal standpoint here you clearly have possession. Some jurisdictions have s simplified method and can even help you with a template for petitioning the court

...

One other thought; If you have a quit-claim and they BOTH signed, this should be enough ALONE to get the title changed, but again, if she didn't sign and she was a part owner, you'll have to go the adverse possession route.

..

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content.

Otherwise I’ll receive no compensation for the work here at all, from JustAnswer.

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents since 1986.

Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.