How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am filing for my SS retirement and they want proof of

Customer Question

I am filing for my SS retirement and they want proof of earnings for 1984 , would the IRS still have my tax return records. The company I worked for , for 39 years went out of business 7 yrs ago and nobody seems to know where the employee records are any suggestions as to what I can do?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I am not sure
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Unfortunately the IRS only keeps records for 3 years, up to 6 years in special circumstances. Ironically social security is the only one that keeps records from 1978. Before that you have rely on your own records.