Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am filing for my SS retirement and they want proof of

Customer Question
earnings for 1984 , would...
I am filing for my SS retirement and they want proof of earnings for 1984 , would the IRS still have my tax return records. The company I worked for , for 39 years went out of business 7 yrs ago and nobody seems to know where the employee records are any suggestions as to what I can do?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I am not sure
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
1/6/2017
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Unfortunately the IRS only keeps records for 3 years, up to 6 years in special circumstances. Ironically social security is the only one that keeps records from 1978. Before that you have rely on your own records.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney