Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How do you file for personal expenses for large purchases?

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/6/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

There is no form to claim a deduction on personal purchases, however, the IRS allows for a deduction of sales and use tax paid as an option for those who itemize their deductions, letting them choose between deductions for state and local income taxes or state and local sales and use taxes. Taxpayers will indicate by using a checkbox on line 5 of Schedule A which type of tax they’re claiming.

Please let me know if you need clarification. If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response. (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES)

Hi, I am checking back to see if you posted for more info or clarification.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4