How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15731
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an 18 year old school dependent. My husband is

Customer Question

I have an 18 year old school dependent. My husband is disabled and living in a different state but we file jointly. My son receives a portion of the ss benefits since he is 18. He got a part time job this year as he and his girlfriend had a baby. He pays for all of the babies expenses. My question is if we can still claim him (as we do provide for his support) and if he also files separately and can claim the baby on his taxes. I think he will have to include the five months of ss benefits that were assigned to him as well?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: My son receives 762 a month as his portion of my husbands social security disability
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm patiently waiting
Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.

If your son, for example, lived with you but provided at least half of his own support, you can’t claim him as a dependent.

If he provided for the baby and the baby then you cannot claim your grandchild either.

It comes down to how much of his own support your son provided. I can give you a worksheet to fill in and calculate who, you or he, supplied the most support for him.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.

You would need to complete the worksheet but you do not have to send it in with your return.

If your son lived with his child and provided the support for the baby then he may be allowed to claim the child.

If he did not live with his child then he cannot claim the child as a dependent unless the mother signs form 8332.