How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Taylor Your Own Question
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2280
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark Taylor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm going thru a divorce and want to know if I can claim the

Customer Question

I'm going thru a divorce and want to know if I can claim the child. From Jan. 2016-July15, 2016, I was the sole supporter of my family. My wife did not work. She took the baby and left. I did supply the babies needs for one more month until she demanded cash instead. I want to know if I can claim child, since I was only supporter for over 7.5 months?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 8 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions.

You would be able to claim your daughter if you provide more than 1/2 the support and she lived with you for more than 1/2 the year. If both you and your wife claim your daughter one of the returns will be rejected by the IRS.